Lines that Make Me Laugh
A little laughter at the beginning of your team meeting will increase endorphins, goodwill, and creativity. Here is a team building activity you can facilitate in 10 minutes or less. Simply ask each person to share ONE line from a movie, tv-show, play, book, or a song that makes them laugh.
You might need to give your team time to think, so consider asking them this question as pre-work so no one is put on the spot.
Here are some examples that people have shared with me:
- “Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.” (The Office)
- “ Hercules. Hercules. Hercules. Hercules.” (The Nutty Professor)
- “I’ll have what she’s having.” (When Harry Met Sally)
- “What we have here is a failure to communicate.” (Cool Hand Luke)
- “Is your house on fire Clark?” (Christmas Vacation)
- “Oops, did I do that?” (Family Matters)
- “What is this? A center for ants?” (Zoolander)
- “I’d have to say April 25th because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.” (Miss Congeniality)
- “Buzz, your girlfriend, woof.” (Home Alone)
- “These go to eleven.” (Spinal Tap)
- “Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.” (Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventures)
- “We are Prestige Worldwide.” (Stepbrothers)
- “Geoffrey, from an objective point of view, who is having this baby? Him or me? (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
This is a fun exercise even if you don’t know the lines. People typically laugh when they tell their own lines, and laughter is contagious. Another option is to have people say their lines in character and see if the team can guess who said it.
What is a line that made you laugh out loud?
Bring some joy and humor to your team with this fun, easy team building activity, “Lines that Make Me Laugh.” Simply ask your team to share a funny line and let the laughter begin.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and the Forward, community, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE