Whether your team spans the globe or is all located in one town, building connections is paramount. Even teams that share the same office space often find they don't truly know the unique backgrounds, experiences, or dreams of their colleagues. Introducing "Where in the World?", a fun and interactive team activity designed to bridge this gap and foster deeper connections.
Here's how to embark on this global journey without leaving your meeting room:
- Display an image of a world map on a shared screen using a meeting sharing app that has annotation tools, such as Zoom.
- Make sure every participant is familiar with the annotation or stamping tools. For those using Zoom, this is straightforward, but instructions might differ based on your chosen platform.
- Guide your participants through these enlightening questions one at a time, letting them answer by placing their stamps on the map:
- Where in the world were you born?
- Where in the world have you lived?
- Where in the world have you visited?
- Where in the world do you dream of visiting?
Options to Enhance the Experience
Option 1: Clear the annotations after each question, presenting a fresh map for every new query.
Option 2: Employ a unique stamp or color for each question, allowing the marks to accumulate. By the final question, your map will be a vibrant tapestry of your team's journeys and aspirations.
The Power of "Where in the World?"
- Creating Bonds: Dive deeper than the usual small talk. Understand and appreciate the varied paths team members have taken.
- Encouraging Inclusivity: Embrace the diversity of experiences within your team, fostering a sense of belonging and understanding.
- Facilitating Conversations: Curiosities will arise! "You lived in Brazil? Tell us more!" or "I too dream of exploring the Northern Lights in Iceland!"
Concluding the Journey
End the activity by inviting team members to share anecdotes, memories, or fun facts about the places they've highlighted. This isn't just about geographical locations; it's an exploration of personal tales and aspirations that make each team member unique.
Why wait? Incorporate "Where in the World?" in your next team gathering, and discover the stories and dreams that make your team truly special.
About the Author
Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, Team Consultant Academy, and FORWARD, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Are you looking for a community of team building coaches and facilitators?
Join the Better Teams Community - FORWARD, and learn, share, and practice with some of the most experienced coaches and facilitators in the field. As a member, you'll have access to a wealth of knowledge, resources, and opportunities to grow your team building business. Don't miss out on this opportunity to grow and develop with the best. JOIN or LEARN MORE!