December is a great time to share holiday traditions with your team. During December there are many holiday celebrations including Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and New Year’s Eve. This is a time of year where decorations, food, and parties abound. Regardless of one’s beliefs, most people have traditions they associate with December.
A fun way to celebrate the diversity on your team is to share and learn about each other’s traditions. There are many ways to do this, and you’ll want to choose one that is appropriate for your team and organization.
Here are two ideas on how to learn about your team and celebrate the season.
1. The quick and easy team activity:
- Ask everyone to share one of their favorite December traditions.
- Go around and invite each person to tell the team about one of their favorite traditions.
2. A thoughtful team activity that requires planning and preparation:
- Prior to your meeting or event, invite everyone on the team who is interested to share one of their favorite traditions.
- Before the event, someone will need to coordinate how this will take place and to create a program so it flows well and there is ample time, space, and supplies.
- At the event, follow your program and enjoy each person’s holiday traditions.
Examples of holiday traditions include:
- Prepare and share a special recipe.
- Play a favorite seasonal song.
- Play a traditional game.
- Dress up in a traditional costume or outfit.
- Demonstrate a traditional dance.
Sharing holiday traditions is a fun and meaningful way to learn about your team members in a festive way.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, Team Consultant Academy, and FORWARD, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE