Why not celebrate Submarine Day and have a little fun with your team? Submarine Day is usually celebrated on April 11, because on April 11, 1900 the United States government purchased its first commissioned submarine, the USS Holland.
In this blog, I’ll share with you numerous ways you can have some fun with your team and celebrate Submarine Day. Choose any combination of the quick office games and activities below to create a festive and memorable work social event.
Begin with creating the right atmosphere as your team enters the meeting room. Place yellow balloons, yellow plates and cups, and a huge submarine sandwich on the table. Don’t forget the music! Play the song “Yellow Submarine” by The Beatles to create an energized environment.
Have a Battleship® Battle
Divide your team into two groups and play the game Battleship® by Hasbro. Each group must work together to make the next move. Consider a prize for the winning team such as lunch together on another day.
Lyrics Contest – Yellow Submarines by The Beatles
Divide the team into pairs and see which pair can complete the fill in the blank first.
Watch This Video and Discuss Team Accountability
While everyone is eating sub sandwiches, watch this 10-minute video about leadership. See how Captain David Marquet empowered his crew on the Sante Fe and achieved greatness. Watch the video, Turn Your Ship Around
Play Submarine Trivia
Before you get down to business, play a quick trivia game about submarines to energize your team. Consider having a prize or prizes for the winners. Perhaps a gift card to a local sub-sandwich restaurant.
Here are some trivia questions you can use (answers are at the bottom):
- What do you call the water tanks that fill up to submerge the submarine?
- The original submarines could only hold 1-2 people. How many people can large submarines carry today?
- What famous book was written in 1870 by Jules Verne about a submarine adventure?
- Name two movies that feature submarines?
- In what century was the first submersible built (for just one person)?
- What do submarines shoot?
- How long can the British submarine HMS Artful stay submerged with out having to surface for air?
- Why are most submarines yellow?
- What metals are used for the hull of the submarine?
- Why must Navy members undergoing submarine escape training yell HO HO HO as they rise to the surface?
Trivia Question Answers:
- A ballast
- More than 100
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- The Hunt for Red October, K-19: The Widowmaker, Crimson Tide, U-571, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.
- 1600s by Cornelius Drebbel
- 25 years
- Yellow is one of the few colors visible at great depths
- Titanium and steel
- To keep their lungs from collapsing
Sources for Trivia Questions:
Teams need some time to connect and create memories together. Celebrate Submarine Day and be sure to take lots of pictures!
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and Forward, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE