Energize Online Meeting with this Activity
Run & Fetch provides a quick, fun, and energizing way to learn about your colleagues. During long online meetings, we need a break from the screen and from sitting. This fun online team activity ignites the creativity centers of the brain which energizes and excites your meeting participants.
This is a very adaptable activity. Simply give your colleagues two minutes to fetch an object to share with the group. Here are some examples of modifications.
As a quick 5-minute “movement” break:
- Give them 2 minutes to “run and fetch” something that is [a color, a thing, a shape, etc.]. For example:
- If your organization’s brand colors are red and white, ask them to fetch something that is red and white.
- If you are about to talk about a cyclical cycle, ask them to fetch something that is round.
- If the purpose is to get a laugh, ask them to fetch something “unusual”.
- When they are back, ask everyone to hold their item up to the screen and make a few comments, have a laugh, and move on.
As a 10-20 minute “movement and connection” activity:
- Give them 2 minutes to “run and fetch” something that is [a color, a thing, a shape, etc.] For example:
- If your meeting is about leadership, ask them to fetch something that represents leadership.
- If the goal is to get to know each other, ask them to fetch an item that represents something they value.
- When they are back, ask each person to hold their item up to the screen one at a time and share their item and why they selected it. Give them each 1-2 minutes, depending on the size of the group, and the purpose of the activity.
If you really want to make this memorable, here are a few more suggestions:
- Post a countdown timer on your screen and consider playing upbeat music.
- After everyone has shared, ask them to hold their object up to the camera and take a picture. Then, share the picture as a fun memory.
- Ideally, everyone needs to have their videos turned on. However, if someone is not able to be on video, ask them to describe their object.
Run & Fetch is a fun online team activity guaranteed to energize your participants. Simply ask the meeting attendees to go and collect a specific item that relates to your session. When they return invite them to share what they collected.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and Forward, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE