Building a strong and connected team takes effort. This simple activity will provide the team with insights into the individual team members as well as possible ideas to better the team. Or, make up your own questions.
This team engagement exercise involves talking through questions that are at first answered by the team members and then discussed as a group. There are two worksheets that can be done as individual exercises or together. Feel free to print and use the accompanying worksheets.
1. Prior to the meeting, give the worksheet(s) to each team member and ask them to draw their responses in each box. Let them know they will be sharing this at the next team meeting.
Optionally, you can provide time during the meeting for them to complete the worksheet(s). Or ask them to use flip chart paper so it will be large and easy for everyone to see.
If the team is remote, they will be able to share their worksheets by sharing screens. Another option is to ask them to send you their completed worksheets so you can scan them into one document and show them on your screen. This way the worksheets are all together and easy to send out to everyone to see.
2. Review just one of the worksheets at a time if you decide to use both. Begin with “All About Me.” Give each person 5 minutes to share their drawings. If time allows, ask questions for deeper understanding.
3. When reporting out on “All About Us” use the same process as in #2. As team members share ideas, write the ideas that emerge on a separate chart labeled “Ideas”.
4. Once everyone has reported out about “All About Us,” review the ideas gathered. The team may have additional ideas to add, capture those as well. Then, decide if the team wants to pursue or implement any of the ideas.
5. Capture all actions, owners, and deadlines on another chart labeled “Actions.”
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and Forward, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Join Forward, our online community!
Forward is a networking and learning membership for facilitators, coaches, and trainers who want to stay on the leading edge. Get a sneak peek here.
You'll get 5 videos with team activities PLUS a new exercise or resource every week!
Great! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.