April Showers Bring May Flowers a Team Activity for Spring
There is a saying that “April Showers Bring May Flowers” and not only is that true, but this also is an excellent spring team activity for the ups and downs teams experience. This saying can be traced back to 1610.
As April approaches, try this team building activity to get your team to think, reflect, and "grow" together. You can make this a personal sharing experience or focus the discussion on the team.
For a personal sharing experience:
- Ask everyone to share an example of a time or experience they had that was difficult and perhaps unpleasant (showers), that turned out to be a growth opportunity or led to something positive (flowers).
- Reflect with: “What can we learn from our collective experiences?”
For a team discussion, ask the team:
- “What are some examples of ‘showers’ we experienced (this month, during this project, last year, etc.)?”
- “What are some 'flowers' that came from these experiences?”
- “How can we use this reflection to help us as we move forward?”
If you want to run wild with this metaphor, consider the planting seeds together activity.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, Team Consultant Academy, and FORWARD, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE