Activity for MLK Day Virtual Team Building
“If you can’t fly then run if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” Martin Luther King Jr.
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) was a leader of the Civil Rights Movement in the United States. His life and legacy are celebrated on Martin Luther King Day which is observed in the United States on the third Monday in January.
This virtual team building activity can be used to honor Dr. King’s legacy, start a conversation about Inclusion & Diversity, and/or to learn about the values of your team members.
Here are two variations:
Option 1: Share your favorite MLK quote.
- Ask everyone to bring to the meeting their favorite Martin Luther King Jr. quote.
- At the meeting ask each person to read or share a slide with their quote and explain why they chose that quote.
Option 2: React to MLK’s “I Have A Dream” speech.
- Prior to the meeting, send out Dr. King’s “I Have A Dream” speech and ask each person to read or listen to it.
- Select ONE question from below (or develop your own) and ask people to come prepared to respond to the question:
- How did the speech impact you?
- What is your take-away from the speech?
- How does this speech inspire you?
- What do you appreciate about his message?
- What is your favorite part of the speech? Why?
The Civil Rights Movement in the United States was led by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Junior. This virtual team building activity can be used to honor Dr. King's life and contribution to society while at the same time connecting the team on a personal level.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and Forward, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE