Brighten the day for your team with a Secret Valentine’s Day party! Our teams need joy and fun as well as opportunities to connect with each other.
As a child, I looked forward to my class parties where we celebrated Valentine’s Day and put cards and candy into shoe boxes decorated with hearts and doilies. I couldn’t wait to open my box and go through all my cards. As an adult, I still enjoy cards and surprises. I think most of us do.
Do you “love” your team? I hope so. In my Better Teams Model, connections and relationships are important attributes that teams need to thrive. February 14, Valentine's Day, is the perfect time to focus on why you “love” your team members.
Try this idea for a fun team party around Valentine's Day.
Instructions for BEFORE the party:
- At least a few days before the party, assign everyone on the team a “Secret Valentine”.
- Set the expectations. They are to individually create a special message, card, song, or PowerPoint slide with pictures for their secret Valentine. Inform them they will have up to 2 minutes to present their creation at the reveal party.
- Encourage creativity. You might even give a prize for the most creative message.
- Schedule a team party to have fun and share your messages with each other. The Secret Valentines Party would make a great Happy Hour.
- Ask everyone to wear red, white, or pink and flare is always encouraged!
- Optional: Send out a festive background for everyone to upload.
Instructions for DURING the party:
- Welcome them and consider having some festive music playing in the background.
- One by one, each person gives a “Valentine” to their secretly assigned team member.
- Clap and celebrate after each presentation.
- Optional: Vote on and award the most creative presentation. Consider flowers or a box of candy for the award.
Try this secret Valentine's Day party with your team. It is a great way to connect and have fun with each other.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and the Forward, community, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE