Team members who take the time to learn about each other are more connected.
Meaningful connections build trust. Both connection and trust are important elements of team building, as seen in the Better Teams Model.
Team connection activities can be simple and fun. They can be done at the beginning or end of a team meeting or anytime in between.
The Time Machine Team Activity is an interesting way to learn about what is important to your colleagues.
It can be facilitated without any prep time so it’s a great one to use when you want to engage and connect without a lot of effort.
- Instruct each team member to imagine they had a time machine and could take one trip.
- Ask the question: If you could go to any period or day in time, where would you go and why?
- Let each person share their time and place.
If you want to take this team exercise a step further:
- Prepare them in advance by asking this question prior to your meeting and ask them to bring a picture of that place/time with them.
- After they share their stories, post the pictures on the wall (or virtual whiteboard) from earliest to latest time period.
- Ask: Which of these other times (those shared by colleagues) is also appealing to you and why?
A fun and interesting way to learn about your team members is to ask them when and where they would go if they had a time machine.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, Team Consultant Academy, and FORWARD, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE