The evidence is in! We need more laughable momentsin the workplace. Science shows us that laughter has many benefits.
Here are a few benefits of laughter from the Mayo clinic:
- Enhancing your intake of oxygen-rich air stimulates your heart, lungs, and muscles. It also increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
- Activating and then relieving your stress response resulting in feeling relaxed.
- Improving your immune system by releasing neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more serious illnesses.
- Increasing your ability to cope with difficult situations and to connect with other people.
- Improving your mood. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.
Why not add a little fun and laughter to break up a long meeting. You'll energize your team and make the experience more enjoyable too.
Below is a fun and simple way to infuse some laughter into a long team meeting.
- Prior to a team meeting ask each person to bring a story, song, video, joke or a picture that is funny to share with the team. I recommend you establish some ground rules about what is shared, such as:
- Humor should be professionally correct.
- It should take no more than 2-3 minutes to share.
- During the meeting periodically draw someone’s name and ask them to share their “laughable moment” with the team.
- Laugh… and enjoy the benefits with your team.
Try this simple activity to bring comedic relief. Your team will thank you for it. 🙂
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and Forward, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE