Creating a team music playlist is a fun and lasting way to bond a team. Music affects our moods. It can energize us, calm us, or even make us cry. We can learn about people from the type of music or songs that they like, and this connects us.
A fun team building activity is to build a team music playlist using Spotify, Amazon Music, or YouTube. Additional songs can be added over time so this can be an ongoing connection opportunity. The playlist can be shared with everyone on the team so they can listen or add to it anytime.
When can you play your team songs?
- At the beginning of every meeting to energize people.
- During a team lunch or dinner.
- While you are working.
Things to consider:
- Decide on a theme or mood for your team playlist.
- Determine if you want to include limitations on language or song themes that may be offensive to others.
- Encourage each person to contribute 1-3 songs to get it started. Then, you can all add more songs over time.
- Name your playlist to reflect the theme and/or to represent your team.
- Get it started by adding at least two songs before you invite others to participate.
Variation: Create individual playlists with this activity The Songs of Our Lives
Creating a team music playlist is a great way to bond a team.
It can help connect a team because it lets us know what kind of music we enjoy. Enjoying music together can add energy to our team building activities.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams and the Forward, community, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are happy and high-performing.
Learn. Share. Practice. Move FORWARD. Join the Better Teams community, FORWARD, to network and grow with some of the most experienced professionals in the field of team building and facilitation. LEARN MORE