Happy teams celebrate each other. We all need to feel like we matter. When team members acknowledge each other it creates goodwill that can be lasting.
Looking for ways to acknowledge and celebrate team members?
This celebration activity has its roots in the Four Quadrants activity. What makes this engagement unique is that team members fill out a chart for each other, rather than for themselves. And, it’s all about recognizing others.
- Post a large flip chart paper for each member of the team around the room.
- On each chart, write one team member’s name and then divide the chart into four quadrants (a huge “+” sign)
- Explain that they will be writing on each other’s charts and answering a specific question in each quadrant. Tell them the questions and have one chart (or slide) that lists the questions in the correct quadrant. (See ideas for these questions below.)
- Give each person a different colored marker. If the team has more than 5 people, give them thin markers so their writing will be smaller.
- Ask them to walk around, in no particular order, and write or draw on each other’s charts. They do not need to write in all four quadrants for each person, just pick one or two.
- Once the charts are completed, allow each person to go read their chart.
- To debrief, ask each person to share what touched them the most.
Ideas for the Four Quadrants:
- What is ____’s superpower?
- What has _____ done that you are grateful for?
- What would you like to know about ____?
- What do you admire about _____?
Adapt the Activity for a Remote Team
To adapt this for a remote team, post these charts in a shared file – like Google Docs – so everyone can go out and type/write in them. Provide a specific time period in which they need to be completed.
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are highly productive and positive. Learn about her Better Teams Model and Team Assessment here.
Team Consultants... sign up for more FREE team activities, tools & resources!
You'll get 5 videos with team activities PLUS a new exercise or resource every week!