The evidence is in! We need more laughter in the workplace. Science shows us that laughter has many benefits.
Here are a few benefits of laughter from the Mayo clinic:
- Enhancing your intake of oxygen-rich air stimulates your heart, lungs, and muscles. It also increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
- Activating and then relieving your stress response resulting in feeling relaxed.
- Improving your immune system by releasing neuropeptides that help fight stress and potentially more serious illnesses.
- Increasing your ability to cope with difficult situations and to connect with other people.
- Improving your mood. Laughter can help lessen your depression and anxiety and may make you feel happier.
Why not add a little fun and laughter to break up a long meeting. You’ll energize your team and make the experience more enjoyable too.
Below is a fun and simple way to infuse some laughter into a long team meeting.
- Prior to a team meeting ask each person to bring a story, song, video, joke or a picture that is funny to share with the team. I recommend you establish some ground rules about what is shared, such as:
- Humor should be professionally correct.
- It should take no more than 2-3 minutes to share.
- During the meeting periodically draw someone’s name and ask them to share their “laughable moment” with the team.
- Laugh… and enjoy the benefits with your team.
Try this simple activity to bring comedic relief. Your team will thank you for it. 🙂
About the Author: Leigh Ann Rodgers, Founder of Better Teams, is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator with 20 years of experience in the human development field. Leigh Ann is a skilled meeting facilitator, trainer, and coach working across the globe to help leaders cultivate teams that are highly productive and positive. Learn about her Better Teams Model and Team Assessment here
Team Consultants... sign up for more FREE team activities, tools & resources!
You'll get 5 videos with team activities PLUS a new exercise or resource every week!