GUEST BLOGGER: Jinnie Lee Schmid, Performance Improvement Specialist
Here’s a team activity that is pretty targeted in it’s purpose – to help team members recognize and reward each other – but ticks all these other marks, too: easy, inexpensive, short, creative, tactile, interactive, and possibly physical. I’ve used this successfully with both intact, internal teams, and teams of seasoned external consultants. It’s great for social and creative personality types (ENFP, high I, Blue, etc.), but also quick and casual enough to engage other types of team members. Give it a try!
Time: 15-30 minutes
- Smooth rocks, small to medium size – at least 1 per person. (Note: Buy a bag at the hobby store…source from your own backyard…or, have the team do a quick scavenger hunt outside)
- Paint pens and/or Sharpies in a variety of colors and tip sizes – 1 or 2 per person
- Instruct participants to think of at least one team member they would like to recognize (for behaviors or accomplishments) and why
- Distribute rocks and pens, at least one per person (ideally extras of each)
- Instruct participants to draw something on a rock, which they will present to the colleague(s) they want to recognize. Some examples include…
- You Rock
- U Got This
- You’re #1
- Allow 5-15 minutes for participants to create their masterpieces
- Allow 5-15 minutes for team members to mingle and present their recognitions, publicly or privately
This activity is infinitely adaptable in terms of setting, duration, materials, focus, etc. I’d love to hear (in comments below) how you would use it!
About the Author: Jinnie Lee Schmid’s entire career has focused on improving employee performance and engagement, applying skills and solutions including instructional design, facilitation, coaching, talent management, performance management, change management and communications. She is the founder and principal of Change Navigators, LLC which has been in business since 2000. Her home and office are in Northeast Atlanta, GA where she enjoys training her dog [and her husband :-)] and doing pet assisted coaching with seniors, grievers and hospice families. Learn more about Jinnie at www.ChangeNavigatorsLLC.com
Get Free Team Building Stuff From Us!
Join the Better Teams community to receive our free QuickConnect™ team building video series. We'll also let you know when new tools and ideas are published.
You can opt-out at any time (although we promise not to barrage you with emails so you won't have to).